Friday, April 13, 2012

Info on malaria risks in malaysia

hello all,





We are considering a trip to Malaysia/Singapore this summer. We wiould be spending some time in the main towns (KL, Singapore), some days on the beaches (Perenthian islands) and some trek in the National Parks (Taman Negara + Borneo).





We were wondering whether there is a cocrete risk of malaria which would warrant the profilaxis (ie. malarone or lariam etc.). I found different (and not awlays coherent) info on the net.





I am asking this becauise my girlfriend would like to avoid having to undergo such a profilaxis.





But of course we would not like to run a real risk and, consequently, if spedning time in those areas without a profilaxis could be risky then we would avoid the malaysia trip altogether (at least for this year).





Thanks so much in advance for some info on this.





Info on malaria risks in malaysia


HI



Can I suggest you go to your Doctor or travel clinic.





They will be able to offer accurate medical advice, rather rely on hearsay and the internet especially if you do not want to run any real risks.





Taman Negara and some parts of Borneo will possibly require malaria prevenative [or profilaxis] treatment, but seek medical advice on the prevenative medication you should take if necessary.





make that doctors appointment now!!



Info on malaria risks in malaysia


Thanks.



Of course we already did that. However, we are in Europe and some of these doctors have never actually been there. So, they rely on books which mnay be outdated or a bit old.



This is why I%26#39;d like to hear voices from people that are often going there and have more recent experience.




Bruges,





We have no risk of Malaria. I believe most doctors can concur that.





I personally have been to the National Park twice



(3 nites stay each time)..and I survived unscathed..





Go ahead...go to Malaysia! I am sure you will have tons of fun !!




thanks spinning. however, the fact that one does not get sick does not mean that the risks of malaria are minimal.



I%26#39;d like to know also the views of those that live there or go reagularly there.




Ive been in KL for 5 months now and I dont take anything for malayria.




This is a frequently asked question - this is a post from February 09





tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303997-i9921-k249鈥?/a>




Bruges,





I am a Malaysian. I am currently working up here in the North of the globe though..





Rest assured friend..we have no malaria..




Last time I checked there were a number of places in Peninsular Malaysia with minimal to low risk of Malaria (this is not the same as no risk) and pretty much the whole of Borneo was flagged as (I think) high risk. Information available to UK medical practitioners tends to be updated very frequently because in many regions malaria risks very seasonally.





I%26#39;ve a feeling that there are large parts of Malaysia where that are ';no risk'; so you can live there as long as you want and not be in danger. However living in a place is not a medical qualification.





I%26#39;ll be visiting places that I believe are in the %26#39;low risk%26#39; category. I%26#39;m going to my medical practice on Friday to get the latest position and if necessary a prescription. How I respond to that advice is then up to me. From experience, I%26#39;ll probably buy the tablets and my other half will take the risk and just use lots of deet. She will not, however advise anybody else that they should take the same risk.





The advise from Mitch at the start is the only reasonable approach. Seek professional advice. Understand the risks and the side-effects, then decide. That way, if the worst happens then you%26#39;ll only have yourself to blame.




thanks to all



what is a bit worrying is that orneo seem to be flagged as high risk



for us there is no point to go to malaysia if we cannot visit the national parks.



I say this will all due respect. I know that theer are many other things to see in Malaysia. But for us hiking/trekking is always one of the highlights of our trip.




Here goes this conversation:



I%26#39;m going to Malaysia?





What, you are gonna have malaria?





Do you have a problem hearing?





No! You said you are gonna have malaria.





No, you idiot. I said I am going to Malaysia for a vacation.





Oh, sorry. For a moment I thought you caught that disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment