Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sabah Supreme 'safari' with BASS

We%26#39;re thinking of going on the Sabah Supreme trip operated by BASS (through Trailfinders) this summer. Anyone any experiences or comments? Thanks



Sabah Supreme 'safari' with BASS


Hi... we are thinking of doing the same tour as part of our honeymoon in Feb 2009. Have been looking everywhere to read some reviews about it. I see no one has replied on this! Have you heard anything or found any websites with reviews.





Cheers



Sabah Supreme 'safari' with BASS


If you%26#39;re still interested, I just came back from Borneo where I had booked the tour through Trailfinders. It%26#39;s actually a combo of several trips that Borneo Adventures organizes locally. I went on the following segments:



Poring Hot Springs + Kinabalu National Park: this sounds nice in the description, but turned out to be a rather boring 3 h bus ride (one-way), followed by an up-hill hike (hot and very humid) to the Canopy Walkway. The walkway is nice, but not worth the long trip. The NP was a short walk through a so-called botanical garden with some orchids. I was alone on this trip and the guide was very good, giving me useful information about Sabah and the rest of the tour, but I can not recommend this part.



Due to a mix-up in the booking I could not go to the Selingan Turtle island, but heard from others that it was nice.



Sepilok Orangutan Rehab Centre + Sukau River Lodge: both very interesting, but don%26#39;t go during the rainy season. According to the local guide May/June may be the best time (July too croweded with many tourists). Gomatong - only go if it is the season when they collect the birds nests (2x year), otherwise it%26#39;s nothing but walking in birdshit!



Gaya Island: I enjoyed this great daytrip with a short hike and snorkeling very much. Can be booked through local hotels for RM100 (140 with lunch)



I had different guides for each of the sections, but all were pretty good. While the upfront info was minimal, they bent over backwards to make sure that I was informed about each part of the trip, with tips what to take, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment