Monday, April 16, 2012

Penang vs. Langkawi

I%26#39;m planning to travel to Malaysia over the New Year for about a week. I hope to spend a half the time in KL and the other half in either Penang or Langkawi... I%26#39;m having trouble over which island to choose. Any suggestions? Would NY be better in KL or on the island?





Penang vs. Langkawi


I would spend NY in KL. Langkawi has nicer beaches then Penang but Penang has more things to do and see. I hated the food in Langkawi last year and there is much more variety in Penang it is a much bigger city. Maybe spend 3 days in Langkawi and catch a boat across to Penang and spend 4 days there? Get the best of both destinations.



Penang vs. Langkawi


agree with most of that, kl would be the place for NY , but with regard to langkawi or penang, langkawi more laid back, and more going on in the towns in penang although are lots of areas to crash out and relax if you want it quiet. we stayed in the mutiara in penang and it was so quiet and laid back it was great. I enjoyed the food in all three places because there is so much variety. hope this helps your choice?





dozy dai




Just another suggestion. In Langkawi we stayed at The Datai and did not enjoy it because we were stuck in the resort and the hotel food was expensive and portions very small compared to our servings in Aus. However for a very small fee with hired a car and drove around exploring most of the time. Previously I had stayed at the Sheraton in the town and liked it better as I was not in a secluded area. Also I have been told the Shangri-la Golden Sands is a very nice hotel for Penang with fantastic location. The Mutiara is further down the beach and more secluded enjoyed my stay there quite a few years back but this time I chose the Shang. I found the cheapest rate on www.malaysia.com and they were very efficient and helpful.




further to carla123 post when we stayed at the mutiara, it is situated in a village however it is about 2 km from town , the courtesy bus takes you to town every evening and most days it also goes to georgetown so you can spend time there. we used the taxi in to town quite often and it was embarrasing having to pay only just over £1 for the trip



dozy dai




If you choose Penang, choose to stay in the town, not out at the beach. Town has lots to see and do and beach is not good and a little isolated. We stayed at Golden Sands twice and it%26#39;s OK, not fantastic. We are returning to Penang next month after a few days on Langkawi. I think you should try to experience both islands, if possible. Have a wonderful trip.




I believe the exact opposite. What the town has on offer can be experienced in 1 day. I would stay at the beach and spend 1 day walking around the town.




agree with carla123, stay at the beach and yes go and see the town but you willl see all the shops you want in kl, and much much much more




One does not visit Penang for beaches. Most informed travellers know that Penang%26#39;s beaches are awful!





Thought I should update info on Penang town %26amp; beaches there. I%26#39;ve been spending at least a week in Penang every 3-6 months since my post in 2005. My last visit was October 2008 and I%26#39;ll be back there Mar 27 2009 for 10 days as part of my nearly 3 months trip to Indonesia %26amp; Malaysia.





Penang town has far more to offer than shops. There%26#39;s a wonderful museum, some lovely temples, a fabulous cemetery, magic restaurants, wonderful harbourside walks, Indian, Malay %26amp; Chinese buildings %26amp; one of the best hotels in Asia, The Eastern %26amp; Oriental Hotel, right on the water. It is a superb hotel %26amp; beats the Batu Ferringhi hotels, imho. The beaches are infected with jelly fish and the tourist restaurants out at Batu Ferringhi serve up some of the worst Malay food we%26#39;ve ever eaten. The noise %26amp; chaos that the three wheeler bikes make on the beaches not to mention the jetskis %26amp; horses galloping down the beach while one sunbakes is far too much for me!




I would go Langkawi, after KL you will need to relax.Yes Penang had more to do but its nearly as full on as KL. Langkawi is beautiful just hire a car and see everything.




Agree with you Lyndy,



been to Langkawi and loved it, however love penang more and the E%26amp;O hotel is a wonderful oasis of calm and tranquility, and whilst there is hustle and bustle in BF and penang, does not compare to the big city of kl.

No comments:

Post a Comment