Sunday, March 25, 2012

Motorbike or car?

We would like to hire a motorbike that we could both travel on... is that a good idea, or is a car better? How safe are the roads? Do you drive on the left or right?

Motorbike or car?

Hi, firstly, the roads on Langkawi are mainly all good quality, with good directions and they drive on the left like in the UK so no problem at all. They only tend to get a little busy once you head into Kuah town or occasionally you might get a bit busy driving down Pantai Cenang. I love driving around Langkawi and we often just get out and stop as the mood takes us. From a personal preference I would always go by car as I loathe bikes, you%26#39;ve also got the added advantage of aircon and a bit more protection from the sun in a car. I have seen 2 people on bikes but wouldn%26#39;t comment if it was safe or sensible.

The only obstacles we%26#39;ve come across are a herd of waterbuffalo in the road, so we just had to sit and wait for them to wander by (got some fantastic photographs!), also have had a few laughs trying to beep the horn at giant Iguanas sunbathing in the road (needless to say it didn%26#39;t work!)

Motorbike or car?

Thanks for that info.... the water buffalo would terrify me on a bike... I%26#39;d just have to close my eyes and hang on tight!! My partner drives a car here, but used to drive motorbikes, and it would be a real treat for him on holiday, to travel that way!


Hi

I would go for the car option as it is generally safer.

There are a few roads with sleeping policemen along them %26amp; if you miss seeing one of those whilst on a bike you will come a cropper!

We saw what happened to a lady at the Berjaya when she ended up in a heap in the road.

If you do decide to go for the bike option make sure that you get a good crash helmet.

The roads are, in general fairly safe but the locals do tend to do some very unexpected things %26amp; their road sense seems somewhat lacking.

Enjoy

Mick


Thanks... maybe we%26#39;ll do the bike for just one day, so my partner can have his thrill!


Der Lovegreanda,

I see a hell a lot of tourists on bikes and - honestly I hate it! We have too many accidents on the island invloving bikes. If you can not resist, rent it directly from the hotel to make sure it is in really good condition and have a closer look to the helmets. They are mostly a joke!!!

Eva


Thanks Eva, will take your advice... my partner is not an young tearaway! and has driven in many countries. He%26#39;s been driving over 30 years and rode a motorbike here in London U.K. for many... so he will not be taking any risks... just that the weather here doesn%26#39;t make motorcycling particularly enjoyable, and he has to use a car here as a motorbike will not carry all his work tools! So, yes... motorbikes are far more risky than cars, but we will be extra careful, and only rent one for a day rather than for our stay.


Oh... I just realised what I said... young tearaway... I hope that I don%26#39;t offend anyone, I don%26#39;t mean that young people are tearaways, it%26#39;s just bit of an old fashioned phrase. Apologies to all you lovely young people!


Dear Lovegrenada,

in that case drive up with the bike to The Datai! One of the most beautiful roads of the island. Plan your lunch or just a drink up there. Temurun waterfall on the way!

Have fun and stay save.

Eva


... and one more tip:

Island Tuba is just great to explore by bike!

Eva

  • dog
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment