Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Langkawi in October with Baby

We are travelling to Langkawi in Oct/Nov with our 7mth old baby and have been told that it is not a safe/healthy place to take small children. Can anyone who has taken a baby please help me understand what the issues/risks are, do we need to vaccinate her, and how do young babies handle the travel? Appreciate any advice you have. Thanks



Langkawi in October with Baby


Dear beiths, I really have no idea what people mean by telling you that Langkawi is not safe for a baby! Actually, I am almost sure that Melbourne, London or Munich is far more dangerous for babies! We are living in a clean, safe, and very healthy and extremely kids friendly country !!! You surely have not the idea to go to the jungle or mangrove kajaking with the baby and surely you will not leave the baby alone where monkeys are around. And last but not least you will not take your baby on a motorbike as many poor locals have to as they have no other choice (no public transport system and taxis for us are cheap; for them far too expensiv) Forget about vaccinations! You are as safe with the baby as could be! I hope that helped you! Come back if you have any more questions!



Eva



Langkawi in October with Baby


Hi





I must agree with what Eva says. I cannot imagine a more healthy environment than Langkawi.





As long as you take the usual precautions with your baby as you would at home, and I%26#39;m sure I don%26#39;t need to tell you what they are.





Malaysian people adore children and everywhere is very child friendly. The only thing to watch out for is that your baby will probably cause so much attention with the hotel staff you may find it has disappeared into, say, the kitchens to be shown around and this can sometimes cause a bit of a panic for the parents!!





As for the travelling - I think very small children handle this better than older people as they tend to sleep most of the time.





Lesley




I do agree with previous posters.



I have traveled last year with my 1 year old baby, and I had a fantastic time. Hotel employees are so nice with babies! and yes, they offer to baby sit and love to take care of them.





I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;ll have a great time in Langkawi!




Thanks everyone, I feel very relieved.




I think they probably mean in terms of vaccinations etc... is it a malaria area?





Anyone know?




Hi





There is no malaria in Langkawi but please check with your own GP/health centre for updated information.





Lesley




hi! although there is no reported malaria the mosquito which carries it is present. it may only be a matter of time. also dengue could be risk as soon as this year. it is already present on penang. prevention of bites is the key. get advice from your doctor. as far as vaccinations are concerned i dont know what is routine in australia. polio and diptheria should be done as a minimum. travel wise, remember to feed her, either breast or bottle, during take off and particularly during the long descent to keep the pressure in her ears correct. babies cannot equalise the pressure for themselves so suffer unless you help. please see your doctor for advice then enjoy!




Hi, Beiths,





I am a local Malaysian and I have been in Langkawi twice. I would say there is no specific vaccination required for baby who come to Langkawi, I was there with my two kids age 4 and 6. Malaysian are friendly and Langkawi is a small Island which is really suitable for family travel. By the way, would you mind share with us the source of Langkawi is not a safe place for babies? Frankly speaking, I am very queries about that. Also since you will be there, Malaysia will be having MATTA FAIR (biggest travell fair in Malaysia) from 13th March to 15th March 09(hope I did not mistaken the date). If possible, grab the hotel and the air ticket, its much cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment